This reference will contain general information for parents including how to access Echo and what content is available for viewing.
What is Echo?
Echo is an online learning platform used by New Tech schools to organize daily classroom instruction, track student grades, share documents and resources, and communicate with others in your school community.
Getting an Account
Every parent needs their own unique account to access Echo. A unique email address is required for each parent account. To ensure maximum privacy and security, each school gathers and verifies parent information before creating accounts and distributing login information. Contact your School Office to get your logon information.
To login to Echo, enter your username and password at: https://echo.newtechnetwork.org
Parents can only view student information, course work, and grades for their own students. Parents do not have access to any other student profiles or other private information at the school.
Quickly See Course Information for Your Student
On the “Homepage” after you first login, look at the section called “My Courses”. Each block will contain a course that your student is enrolled in.
Access Course Content
Quickly See Your Student’s Grades across Courses, Grading Periods, and Years
Quickly See Your Student’s Current Course Grade
How are Weighted Course Grades calculated in Echo*?
1. Add the points earned for each Learning Outcome across all activities in the grading period (term). Ex. Critical Thinking = 30 + 30 = 60 pts | Written Communication = 35 + 45 = 80 pts
2. Add the points possible for each Learning Outcome across all activities in the grading period (term). Ex. Critical Thinking = 50 + 50 = 100 pts | Written Communication = 40 + 60 = 100 pts
3. Divide points earned by points possible to get the percentage grade for each Learning Outcome. Ex. Critical Thinking = 60/100 = 60% | Written Communication = 80/100 = 80%
4. Multiply the percentage grade by the weighting percentage for each Learning Outcome. Ex. Critical Thinking = 60% x 40% (weight) = 24% | Written Communication = 80% x 60% (weight) = 48%
5. Add the weighted outcome percentages to get the student’s overall Weighted Course Grade. * Ex. 24% + 48% = 72%
* If a learning outcome has no scores associated with it, then the weighting for that outcome is ignored and the overall weighted grade is adjusted accordingly.
How are Schoolwide Learning Outcome Percentages calculated in Echo?
Schoolwide Learning Outcome grades are calculated using a simple average of the learning outcomes across courses for any given grading period (term). Ex: For “Presentation Skills”, if a student has 90% in Course Y and 70% in Course Z, then their schoolwide percentage for the outcome would be 80%.
Learn More -> http://docs.echo.newtechnetwork.org/quickref/lessons/Gradebook_-__Calculations.html
1. Changing your Personal Profile
To view your personal profile, click on the “My Profile” link at the very top of every page in Echo. This profile is only accessible by school staff and other parents. The only required information is your name and email address, but you are encouraged to add additional information, including a photo, to help others learn more about you. Click the “Edit” button to edit the information on the page.
Viewing Your Student’s Echo Profile
Click on the “My Profile” link at the very top of every page in Echo. On your own profile, look for the list of “My Students” on the left side. Click the name of your student to see their school profile.
Changing Your Password
Once logged in, parents can change heir password at any time using the “My Settings” link at the very top of every page in Echo.
2. Joining a Group
Using the main navigation, click on “Groups” and select the “All Groups” tab. Click on “Join” to request membership to an existing group. Once the group moderator approves you, you’ll have access to the group and see it on the “My Groups” tab as well as your Echo “Homepage.” Note: some schools choose to manually manage group membership for parents, so parents will not see any groups listed in “All Groups”.
3. Finding Contact Information for Teachers and Parents
Using the main navigation, click on the “People” link to see a list of all staff members and parents at your school. Use the filters in the yellow box to narrow down the list. Click on a name to view the person’s profile and see their available contact information.
4. Finding School Documents
Using the main navigation, click on “Library” and select “School Resource Library.” Browse through categories to find specific documents and resources posted by your school.
5. Kudos and Behavior Reports
Using the main navigation, click on "Tools" and select with Behavior Tracker or Kudos. In all tools, you will only be able to see the awards, kudos, or behavior reports that have been given to your student(s).
Printing Information in Echo
You can print any page in Echo using the web browser’s normal print button. In the browser menu, select File > Print. In the future, Echo will have easy to use “print” buttons throughout the application.
Please visit our Echo Help Center for additional support documentation: